Request a Quote
Moving Checklist for Car-Related Items
With all the changes that happen while moving,
don’t forget the ones for your vehicle
Use our checklist to help!
License, Registration, and Vehicle Insurance
- Check the deadline for updating your license in your new state so you don’t get a charge.
- Check for a partial refund for your old registration AFTER you’ve completed your new registration. Most states will give a refund if it’s $10 or more.
- Check to see how much time you’ll have to transfer your registration over.
- Update your new information with your insurance company, especially if you’ll be driving for the move.
- Check to see if there are any differences in the coverage requirements you’ll need in your new state
- If you have a loan on your vehicle, let your bank know you’re moving and get a lien release. This is especially important if you’ll be moving to Hawaii or overseas
State Laws and Regulations for Vehicles
- For tinted windows, check to see what the legal percentage is allowed. Southern states are usually higher than northern.
- Check the smog regulations for your new state. Make sure to allow time to get your emissions check done if needed.
- Check for laws that are about modifications to your vehicle such as lowering height or lifted vehicles
- Check for laws about displays on your vehicle such as decals and window stickers.
- Check for any other laws and regulations your new state may have
Maintenance for Your Vehicle
- Check your cooling system if you’ll be moving from a cooler climate to a warmer one. This includes hoses, liquid levels, etc
- Check your tires for cracks, pressure, and such when you’ll be changing climate areas
- Check your antifreeze levels if you’ll be moving from a warmer climate to a colder one, or you’ll be traveling through the mountains.
- Schedule a regular maintenance check before you drive your car or have your car transported for the move
We hope these tips help make your move a little smoother.
You can download our Checklist for Your Car When Moving here: